Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On being blown away

One of the weirdest things about going to Afghanistan is raising the money to go.  In case you didn't know, plane flights half-way around the world are very expensive, and so raising the money to go is very daunting.  It is humbling and odd to go to your friends and family and ask them to support such a crazy adventure.  But the flip side of asking people for money, is the generosity that I experience in the process.  It constantly blows me away.  And it in this amazing generosity that God does so much work.

You see, I'm inclined to say no for people, which can manifest itself in so many ways, but usually I just don't ask.  And by not asking I have realized that I rob people of the opportunity of giving and supporting me in something that they would never be able to do, or even want to do, but something that they would be more than happy to give money towards.

And I think that's one of the biggest lessons I've learned from these trips.  I've learned that it's not fair for me to say no for people.  They are perfectly capable of doing that themselves, which they have every right to do, but I have to at least give them the opportunity.  And so often people say yes, and I am blown away.

So thank you to everyone that gives and prays and supports crazy adventures.  Adventures they would never be able to go on themselves, but believe in whole-heartedly.  Adventures that seem so insane that you'll never understand it, but know that it changes the world in ways you can't begin to imagine.  Adventures that bring more hope and peace to the world.  Adventures like this one.

And thank you God for always showing me how big and powerful You are and that You do in fact care about all the little details. Thank you for blowing me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment