Thursday, April 19, 2012

Joy Made Visible

There are always certain days during the trip that you know will live with you forever, yesterday was one of those days.

Yesterday we were able to go to the Kabul school.  This school is for street kids who need to get the basic skills before they can move on to education in the public schools.  There are currently 222 students at the school in 6 different classes. We spent the day going into the various classes teaching them english and songs. One of the highlights was watching Megan, one of my team members. She is a PE teacher and she spent hours, in the sun, foot juggling soccer balls, kicking balls with kids and playing volleyball. In Afghanistan girls are discouraged from playing sports.  For part of the day I was teamed up with her to help teach the class.

When I started playing with the girls and throwing the ball for them to kick, they were at first reluctant.  But all it took was one brave girl and they all wanted to play.  Each time I would throw the ball to them and they would kick it they would instantly all start to giggle, and the pure joy at being able to play with a ball was visible. Later, after we had been playing ball for a few hours, the boys all went inside and we were left with the girls in the courtyard.  I had one little girl come over and sit next to me and all she wanted to do was cuddle.  She never said a word, but would not leave my side for anything.



Other little girls would bring me flowers and she would take them and put them in my hair. It wasn't the most beautiful hairstyle, but will always be one of my favorites.  As I sat there with her, I wondered how often she gets loved on and hugged at home.

I never did learn her name, or really anything about her, but she will forever live in my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. Love that you had such a memorable day! My heart is smiling for you ladies!

    ReplyDelete